Thursday, April 10, 2008

Freaking Dell!

So, in what appears to be the continuation of a series about how horrible business is becoming in the good old US of A, I present the following for your consideration.

Please feel free to spend a minute reading the linked page above. I will wait. While I do so, I will amuse myself with this picture of a monkey listening to an iPod.



Hah! Man, monkeys are hilarious!

Ok, so back to the issue at hand. In a nutshell, for those of you like me who don't much care for reading, seems a customer had a problem with their Dell no longer charging the battery. Because businesses don't make money replacing things for free on warranty, the tech on the phone suggested he try plugging in a working adapter into the computer to ensure the problem was in fact the adapter. When this worked, the tech then wanted, just to be sure, verify that the other adapter was in fact bad. They asked the customer to plug the presumed fault adapter into their other Dell laptop. The customer said they did not want to do this as plugging a faulty power adapter into a machine that is no longer under warranty is not the smartest idea, but the tech insisted the only way they could send the customer a replacement power adapter (15$ part by the way) was to do this last verification. You can guess where this is going. Zap, the perfectly fine computer is now dead. So Dell, seemingly, tries to make things right, however this is where things just get... wrong.

After about an hour on the phone with the tech, the customer managed to talk them into replacing the newly dead laptop. Doesn't seem like it should have taken longer than 15 seconds to sort that one out, but hey, at least they came to the right conclusion eventually.

So Dell says they are going to send him a *new* laptop, to replace the one they killed. Well, when the "new" one arrives, it is anything but new. I think it is best described in the customers own words:

"I open the case, and the instruction manual is bent out of shape, and I start to worry. I reach the bottom of the box, pull out the laptop, and first thing I see is the top is covered in scratches. Some people may say that I should be happy since I was getting a newer model laptop to replace an old laptop with no warranty. My old laptop, however, was in great condition. When I opened up the new laptop, I saw the screen was scratched and dirty, and the keyboard was covered in debris. Wait, not debris....what is that? HAIRS!? Not just any hairs - these could only be described as pubes."

Thats right. Pubic Hair. What the heck?! First of all, this is supposed to be a new machine. Secondly, how in the world does something like that get sent out, even if its a refurb or something?



How can you miss that?! What is this world coming to, that such blatant traces of a persons nether regions come free with every laptop you buy!

For shame Dell, for shame. Maybe it's time for Dell to "shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders"