Thursday, April 3, 2008

It's not *my* fault!

How many times have you heard that exclaimed? Probably quite a few in your lifetime. Well, now lets take it one step further. How often do you hear "It's not *my* fault, it's *your* fault!". Probably fewer times, but I would wager you've still heard it at least once or twice. Well today, as the coup de grâce, I give you the following. I was told, by a business whom I pay money to for their "services", that a problem they very obviously caused was not only "not their fault", but was in fact mine. Why you ask? Because I did not pay them enough for them to have set things up properly to begin with, obviously!

What the heck?! What are you, the RIAA? Lashing out at your customers because you can't admit to making a mistake? I'm OK with someone talking about me when I'm on hold, mute, or just behind my back in general. You want to call me an idiot? Fine, that is your prerogative, but let me tell you what you do not do. You do not lie about what happened and then blame your customers, to their face, for a problem you very obviously caused. I suppose tomorrow the phone company is going to sue me because I don't make enough long distance calls, or the power company is going to blame me for a nationwide blackout because I plugged in my toaster (by the way, I have an awesome toaster, its this cool retro silver thing, with a bagel setting and a nice easy to clean crumb catcher... just sayin').

I literally cannot find the words to describe how this made me feel. *You* broke something. This caused me, your customer, to have to scramble to apologize to my customers. And then you have the gall to proclaim that this is in some way *my* fault. How dare you sir! This offends my sensibilities, my sense of human decency, and business 101 community college professors everywhere. This is something you just do not do.

Thanks goodness we live in a free market society, so I can take my money somewhere else. Maybe one day businesses (and lets be honest here, people in general) will realize that blaming, suing, mistreating, and all around crapping on their customers is not an acceptable, nor profitable way to behave in decent society. Or maybe that is the root of the problem. That we don't live in decent society. Either way, until that day, I have accepted that my only choice is to find the least abusive businesses and give them my money. But it still, what the heck!?

2 comments:

and.you.glow said...

did you complain enough to make it to the "problem customer" status when you call again?

Kevin Bringard said...

I'm not sure. I didn't complain a lot, but I did send them an e-mail that ended with "... but I don't appreciate being lied to and then blamed for your mistakes." so I am sure I made someones list ;-)